My friend Dixie and I met in a 60+ Chatroom in 1998. We’ve been internet friends ever since. She is a lovely lady and a great cook from what I hear, but for me, that’s not as important as the wonderful friendship between us. Thank heaven for the internet. One of us is living in Florida and one in Michigan, meeting once in Oklahoma face to face in the nineties when my family was on a trip through the West. Many friends were made during that chatroom experience over a ten year period. As the years go by, it pays to try some of the new inventions…maybe you should try Dixie’s recipe too. (She got it originally from the Rachel Ray show. There goes that internet again.)
TOTAL TIME 30 MIN
ACTIVE 30 MIN
YIELD 4 SERVINGS
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast (no tenders)
Salt and Pepper
AP flour, about 1 cup
3 Large Eggs
1 scant tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp Pecorino Romano (Various cheeses of Italian origin made from sheep’s milk) or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil (light in color olive oil or safflower oil)
3 tbsp butter
2 large cloves garlic, 1 crushed or chopped, 1 halved
About 3/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp Calabrian chili paste, harissa or sriracha
About 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
A handful flat-leave parsley, for serving
1 loaf ciabatta bread, 12 to 14 inches long, halved
EVOO, for drizzling (extra virgin olive oil)
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
1 large bundle arugula, cleaned, or boxed leaves
- Gather your ingredients and a gel board to prepare chicken.
- Halve the chicken breasts horizontally and butterfly them. Use a mallet to thin meat or even it out if needed–it depends on the size of the chicken breasts. Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Set a station up: Flour in shallow dish; eggs beaten with mustard, milk, salt, pepper and cheese; large frying pan with oil (4 to 5 turns of the pan); a baking sheet with wire rack inserted and lined with parchment paper to remove the chicken to.
- Preheat the oil in skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Coat chicken 2 at a time in flour, shake off excess to drip off. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side. Repeat, removing cooked chicken to wire rack. Once chicken is cooked, slice and lightly brown 1 lemon; add to pan with chicken. Wipe excess oil from pan, return to heat and add butter. When it foams add 1 clove crushed garlic, juice of 1 lemon, wine and chili paste and reduce abut 3 minutes. Add stock and reduce 5 minutes more. Pick and chop the parsley.
- Char the bread over gas burner or under broiler. Rub charred bread with halved garlic, drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with flaky sea salt and cut bread into chunks.
- Add the chicken back to sauce and heat the meat, through, 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the sliced lemons and coat with sauce. Add parsley and transfer to plates. Serve cutlets with a small handful of arugula leaves alongside and some charred bread for mopping.
- (Recipe as seen on Rachel Ray Show-Food Network)
Mary Anne Whitchurch Tuck
Check out my other website when you have time..